17 December 2013

Thinking about Development Challenges: a paper on sustainable institutions

I had to read this paper as a part of my academic comprehensive (AKA qualification) examination. Being back at my university, students around me are busy preparing for their "comps". I am going through folders and files I left behind before going to the field. I came across this paper - yes it is a dissertation, but worth reading about the question of sustainable institutions.

Right - what the hell does that mean? - you may ask. Well, the author speaks specifically about the hand-off period of when a donor-driven project is exiting a country and how that project is then handled. Often it dies when the funding pulls out. Doesn't make the development efforts very long-lasting (in development speak: sustainable).

If you are into this stuff, please check out the paper by Jeffrey Engels.

No comments:

Post a Comment